“What are my options if I am pregnant in Oklahoma?”
A woman facing an unplanned pregnancy in Oklahoma will find that she has three options: to keep her baby and take up the responsibility of being a parent, to elect to have an abortion, or to choose to place her baby up for adoption. No matter what decision a woman makes, the decision only belongs to her. The hope is that the right one will bring a sense of peace with it.
Every woman carrying an unplanned pregnancy in Oklahoma can find more general information about her Oklahoma pregnancy options below. Of course, she can also contact a pregnancy counseling center or adoption agency to get more detailed information on the options for dealing with unplanned pregnancies in Oklahoma.
It is important that every woman, no matter what her situation, be presented with all of her pregnancy options in Oklahoma. This ensures that she has all the information she needs to make a confident and educated decision regarding how to handle her unintended pregnancy in Oklahoma.
Option 1: Parenting
Parenting is one of the most fulfilling life experiences. However, it is also one of the most challenging. Many parents will tell you they love their children — but that raising babies is no easy feat. Choosing to parent a baby brings an important role with responsibility that lasts a lifetime.
Here are a few questions to ask yourself when determining whether you are prepared to parent a child:
- Are you financially secure enough to provide your child everything he or she will need throughout his or her life?
- Do you have a supportive network of people who can help you take care of your child if you need it?
- Are you emotionally and mentally mature enough to handle the full responsibilities that parenting your child may entail?
- Are you prepared to make sacrifices, clean up messes, and take care of a child for the next 18 years?
If a pregnant woman has made an honest self-appraisal and finds that parenting is the best decision for her and her baby, then she can move forward, taking advantage of any and all resources available to aid her in her journey.
Some local Oklahoma unplanned pregnancy resources include:
- Oklahoma Department of Human Services – Assistance for financial, food, medical, etc.
- Best Hospitals in Oklahoma – To choose where the baby will be delivered.
- Oklahoma Crisis Pregnancy Centers – For all types of pregnancy assistance.
Option 2: Abortion
Another unintended pregnancy option in Oklahoma is for an expectant mother to have an abortion. It is important for any woman considering abortion in Oklahoma to do her research and educate herself on what the process looks like. Only this way can she have confidence in her decision.
Here are some of the restrictions on abortion in Oklahoma:
- If a woman is a minor when she elects to have an abortion, she must obtain parental consent at least 48 hours prior to the procedure.
- Before a consenting woman can have the procedure, she must receive state-directed counseling designed to discourage her from abortion and then wait 72 hours.
- Insurance, both private and public, will only cover the cost of an abortion if the expectant mother’s life is in danger.
A woman facing an unwanted pregnancy in Oklahoma should speak with her medical professional to learn more about abortion.
After an abortion, a woman may find herself in a period of grief. There are many resources for healing for women who have chosen abortion through local community organizations and online forums.
Option 3: Adoption
A woman facing an unplanned pregnancy in Oklahoma may be considering adoption for her baby. With this path, she voluntarily chooses to place her child with adoptive parents who can provide opportunities that she cannot.
While an adoptee obviously benefits from adoption, their birth mother can benefit, too. Here are a few of the perks of choosing adoption:
- Adoption is free of charge for prospective birth mothers.
- There is financial assistance for adoption for any prospective birth mother going through an adoption process.
- Adoption agencies offer all their services free of charge to prospective birth mothers. Some of these support services may include:
- 24/7 access to pregnancy and post-placement counseling
- An assigned adoption professional and adoption attorney
- Support groups and other post-placement support resources
- Prospective birth mothers choose the type of post-placement relationship they have with their baby, whether it’s an open, closed, or semi-open adoption.
- Prospective birth mothers choose the family who will adopt their babies, whether they are local in Oklahoma or elsewhere in the country.
Adoption is a great option for a woman who is not ready to parent her baby but does not want an abortion. If you’re wondering how to know if adoption is right in Oklahoma, there are many resources to assist you, including adoption agencies, adoption attorneys and more. Don’t ever be afraid to speak up regarding your needs.
If you are pregnant and considering your pregnancy options in Oklahoma, please fill out this contact form. An adoption professional will reach out to you and offer unbiased counseling to aide you in your decision-making process.
Remember: Unplanned pregnancy options in Oklahoma are always available to every woman, regardless of their situations.